2023 JAB-ASBH Fellowship_FAQ
Based upon the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between Japan Association for Bioethics (JAB) and American Society for Bioethics and Humanities (ASBH), the JAB-ASBH Fellowship Fund, which is paid in full by JAB, invites one of ASBH’s members to attend the annual JAB conference for the purpose of enhancing international exchange and collaboration between ASBH and JAB members.
2. Intended conference
The 35th annual JAB conference held at Meiji Gakuin University (Tokyo), 9-10 Dec. 2023.
3．Application Requirements and conditions
To be eligible for the JAB-ASBH Fellowship Fund, applicants must meet the following requirements and agree in writing to the following conditions.
- Applicants must be current ASBH members in good standing.
- All ASBH members are eligible, but special consideration will be given to those who received their doctorate or professional degree within the past 5 years.
- Along with the application form, applicants must submit an abstract for the 35th annual JAB conference by the due date (details are in session 7 “Submission and deadline” below).
- By submitting the application form, applicants agree to maintain ASBH membership through the end-date of the JAB conference, present a paper and chair a 2-3 hours session in English at the same JAB conference, and submit a short report (500 words limit) within 30 days of the conference’s ending. (Per the MOU, ASBH will verify ASBH membership of applicants.)
- All applicants will be reviewed either solely by the JAB’s existing committee for international collaboration, or jointly by the JAB’s existing committee for international and a selected member of ASBH. The Fund will be granted to one applicant only.
4.Amount of JAB-ASBH Fellowship Fund and Payment
- The awardee of the JAB-ASBH Fellowship Fund will be paid the amount of 300,000 JPY (approximately 2,250 USD depending on exchange rates). If the JAB conference is replaced by virtual meetings, the JAB conference registration fee will be waived, but no other fund will be paid.
- The fund will be paid in cash to the awardee following completion of participation at the JAB conference with a signed receipt by the awardee.
- The fund is designated for purpose of reimburses expenses associated with preparing for and attending the 35th annual JAB conference, including: 1) travel expenses (flight and ground transportation), 2) accommodation and travel expenses in Japan, 3) international travel insurance fee, 4) other necessary expenses related to participation at the intended conference at the approval of JAB’s international committee. Note that the booking of flights and accommodations etc. should be made by the awardee himself/herself.
- The JAB conference registration fee will be waived.
5.Obligation of Awardee
The awardee of the JAB-ASBH Fellowship Fund is obliged to:
- Present a 20 minutes paper at the 35th annual JAB conference in English.
- Chair a 2-3 hours session in English at the same JAB conference, including speaker introductions and moderating the session and Q & A, and posing questions for each speaker when necessary.
- Submit a short report (500-word limit) to the ASBH Board of Directors and the JAB Boards of Director within 30 days after the conference’s end. The report should indicate how the experience attending the JAB conference might be useful for the awardee’s future research, teaching, or other professional activities.
Evaluation of applicants will be based on the caliber of the submitted abstract, and its relevance to attendees at a future JAB conference. In addition, high marks will be granted for original and well-reasoned submission.
7．Submission and deadline
- Applicants must submit the application form including an abstract of 300-500 words. https://forms.gle/bHG6KFALsa5bpWoi9
- The submission deadline is 23:59 JST Thursday, June 15th, 2023.
- All application forms will be reviewed either solely by the committee for international collaboration of JAB, or jointly by the committee for international collaboration of JAB and a selected member of ASBH. The review process will be completed within 30 days after the submission deadline. Upon approval of the JAB Board of Directors, the selection committee will directly notify the result to the ASBH Board first, and then the applicant. Notification to applicants will occur in writing following ASBH Board notification. JAB aims to provide applicant notification within 2 months from the submission deadline.
Answers to applicant questions should be addressed to the Committee for International Collaboration of JAB office: international[at]ja-bioethics.jp